Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring

Things I love about Spring:

1. It's not winter.

2. Asparagus. OK, that's maybe a little weird. But I really do love that green vegetable. Especially in pasta. Or roasted with olive oil. Or wrapped in puff pastry.

3. Planning for summer. I love sitting down with a calendar and planning summer trips and camps. And then scrapping all those plans and starting all over. On tap for this summer? Two weeks at Kanakuk for Scout, a week or so in Jeff City, lots of pool time, and a week in Calgary.

4. Forsythia. It's yellow and willowy. And it comes out at the very beginning of Spring to signal the new season.

5. Endings. That was one of the things I loved most about being a teacher: there were clear beginnings and endings to things, which gave me a feeling of accomplishment. I like wrapping up things with recitals, musicals, tournaments, and parties. It gives everybody a chance to see what they've learned, how they've improved. Coming up for us is a piano recital for the girls, Scout's 4th grade operetta, and Bo's 3's spring sing. My kids are not musical prodigies, but it sure is fun to watch them perform.

6. Soccer. I love love love watching the girls play soccer. It's a fun time to be with other parents I enjoy as well as seeing my kids chase a ball around the field (or, hopefully, spacing out appropriately so their teammates can pass the ball). Winning is of course a welcome result, but it really is great to watch all the girls and how they've improved.

7. Thunderstorms. Maybe it's because I grew up in Missouri, where storms and tornadoes were so common, but I love seeing a storm roll in. Preferably a nice friendly storm that does no damage.

8. Easter. Yay for a risen Saviour! Jesus is awesome. And, yes, I love Easter candy, with the exception of Peeps. Gross.

9. Baseball. So I grew up watching the Cardinals, and I married a Vanderbilt baseball player. I love the feeling of the sport--to some it's boring, but I think it's relaxing. It makes it way more fun when I have an emotional connection to a team, but in general I like watching any baseball game. Watching our friend R.A. pitch is my current favorite baseball activity to cheer for, even though it's usually nerve wracking. Go Mets!

10. Coconut cake. Mmmmmm... Not sure why I think of coconut cake with Spring, but I do.

I also love tulips, opening the windows up, wearing skirts with cowboy boots, and going for walks. The only thing I can think of that I don't like about Spring is allergies, which I don't actually get but I know others really hate. So I'll put that on that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment