Sunday, November 28, 2010

Christmas confession

I told Jason this morning that I dread Christmas.

Some people would be horrified to hear me say that. And I feel a little guilty, what with all it represents (the birth of my Saviour, a pretty big deal). It's just all the work I have to do between now and His birthday.

I have to get a tree and decorate it.

I have to pull out the Christmas decorations for the house.

I have to put lights on the bushes.

I have to send out Christmas cards.

I have to get a few things to wear to all the Christmas events.

I have to go to the Christmas events.

I have to buy presents and get them to the correct recipients.

I have to make holiday things like cookies and gingerbread houses.

I have to get all 6 of us to Austin to celebrate it.

That just sounds like a lot to me. I think if I were getting more sleep all of those things would sound like so much fun. But they sound pretty painful to me. And I don't think I can really skip any of them, because my kids would notice and protest.

I think I need to pray that my heart would be in the right spirit for Advent. It makes me a little annoyed that all of the things associated with Christmas are burdensome to me. I wish I could just relax and enjoy the spiritual aspect of Christmas. Have any of you (or any one you know?) actually avoided the commercial elements of Christmas and been able to just enjoy the season?

1 comment:

  1. While I totally love Christmas, I get what you're saying. It's only this year (with my youngest child 6) that I feel like I really have the time and energy to approach Advent the way I want to. It helped me to hear a sermon on Sunday that talked about Advent being not just waiting for Christ's birth and our celebration of it, but waiting for Christ's return. I've tried to focus some of my thoughts on the anticipation of his return and not just my anticipation of December 25.

    On a practical note, I would encourage you to give yourself grace. It's totally fine to skip Christmas cards for a year. Send Valentine's cards instead - or Easter cards. Decorate, but leave one or two boxes in the basement this year. Buy cut and bake cookies instead of making them from scratch (if you can even stand that idea). :-) I say this in part because I've recently realized the things that I love most about Christmas aren't necessarily the things my girls love most. Try asking your kids what they love the most - do those things and chill on the rest.

    ReplyDelete