Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Memories of Summer 2010


I thought about titling this post "Things I Will Miss about Summer 2010." But most of these things technically can be continued all year, but they just might not be as fun. As I'm sitting here eating my tomatoes and mozzarella, I'm thinking about what a great summer it's been. There are so many things that we have enjoyed since we have just stayed put. We took a week to go to St. Simon's at the beginning of summer, and since then have been in Nashville. In no particular order, here are the things that I will remember most about this summer:

Fresh peaches I always think of my grandpa Spencer when I eat a peach. When Joanie and I used to go visit them in Florida, we'd have peaches and ice cream with him at night. The peaches from South Carolina this summer have been amazing. Scout ate 4 yesterday.

Popsicles on the porch at night It's a given now. Every night after dinner the kids open the freezer and grab a popsicle. They head outside to the porch swing and we talk about our day, catching dad up on all we've done. Bo's favorites are the Superhero Popsicles (Hulk especially).

Watching R.A. pitch Our friend RA is having an amazing year as a starting pitcher for the Mets. Jason lives vicariously through him. We have the MLB package on our TV, so we get to watch all his games. I'm so happy for him and his success, and it always cracks me up watching Jason watch him pitch. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's standing right next to RA, talking to him. We've gone to see him in Baltimore, which was Bo's first Big League game. Scout also went to a game with her dad when they played in DC. Jason would go to every start if his wife weren't pregnant.

Practicing for the Bible Bee The girls are participating in a Bible Bee at the end of August. Think spelling bee, but with Bible verses. Scout is supposed to memorize 250 (seriously?), and Spencer 100 verses. We've made a lot of progress, but we will not get through all of them. Scout knows close to 100. Every night we review and learn new ones. She's my auditory kinetic memorizer, which means she bounces around while I read her the verses and she commits them to memory. If you were a fly on the wall you would think there was no way she could remember a single word acting like that. But, she does. I don't know how it's possible, but she knows them. We spend 30-45 minutes every night working on them. Spencer and I spend around 15 minutes a night. So, as you can see, that's a big part of our life these days. I will miss it.

Being pregnant in one of the hottest summers on record This, I will not miss. Wow, it's really hot. There have been times when I get ready to go run an errand, walk out the back door to our garage, and then turn right back around to go inside. It's too hot. And apparently today is the hottest day of the summer (100 degrees). Fun.

Free Movies at Green Hills Theater Every Tuesday or Wednesday they have a free movie playing at 10 a.m. We've gone to four: Surf's Up, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Hotel for Dogs, and (today) Ice Age. The kids love it, it's cool, and it's free.

Swimming with Bo He just loves it. His favorite thing is diving down to get things, like diving sticks or rings. He also loves jumping off the diving board. I used to let him do it without a life jacket, but lately it's been to hard for me to tread water in the deep end while waiting for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment