Thursday, January 12, 2012

Blackberry Cobbler

Jason and I made a bad parenting decision yesterday. Oh, we knew it when we did it, but did it anyway. The girls have soccer games every Wednesday. Last night they both had the late games (7:45). They finished about 8:45, and we told them we could go get ice cream. We couldn't really think of an ice cream place to go to at 9 at night, so we decided to go to Jason's favorite nighttime dessert hangout where he goes with a friend every now and then. The girls were not happy that we were going to a restaurant instead of an ice cream place where they could pick their flavor and toppings.

They complained from when we pulled into the parking lot until we walked in the door and I told them it's this or we go home so shut your trap. They perked up when they saw the dessert menu. They were torn between the key lime pie and the cookie milkshake, but both went with the cookie milkshakes. Jason got blackberry cobbler. They didn't know what cobbler was, but now they do. They loved his cobbler. They actually really enjoyed their milkshakes, too, (which was two a piece, because the waitress brought both girls the leftover milkshake in the containers). So they each had two milkshakes, part of Jason's cobbler, some of my hot fudge sundae, and it's now 9:45. They were wired. The going to bed was rough, and the morning was loud and whiney (including a bad dream waking up Bo for the day at 5:30, and Scout insisting they leave early to go get donuts for her advisory to celebrate her half birthday). Yes, it was not the best decision, but I think I would do it all over again anyway because we really did have fun.

(When I saw the blackberries at Trader Joe's, today, I just had to get them. Do you know that about me? That when I try something good OUT I sometimes have to try to recreate it at home? So tonight I made a blackberry cobbler. And it was good. Not always the case with trial recipes, but this one was good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment