Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Africa

Lately I've not been able to get Africa off my mind.

Do you know that there is a famine going on in the horn of Africa (Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, and especially Somalia) that is the worst it's been in 50 years?

You probably do, but, it's so easy to ignore. What with all the sports practices to get our kids to, air-conditioned offices we have to work at, and grocery store lines we have to wait in. I am so busy figuring out ways to make my family more comfortable that, unless it is on the front page of Yahoo, I rarely hear about news that's under the radar. We've heard lots about that lady in Florida who apparently didn't murder her daughter, and lots about the people in Washington who can't figure out how to manage finances, but the famine is just too painful and not very glamorous. And it's so foreign.

I can't imagine not having food for my family, and not being able to go to the grocery store or a restaurant to get some. And my mind can't fathom fearing getting assaulted if I'm walking across the country with my kids to go somewhere where there's food. Or watching my kids die right before my eyes.

So I guess all I'm saying is that we are going to have to step up and unclinch our fists full of money and give, beyond what we normally do. I KNOW that most of you are very generous, and some of you either live there or have done mission work there or have even adopted babies from there. Which is more than I have done and you inspire me. All I can do right now is give, and encourage others to give. I don't mean to sound preachy or pious, but I just want to give those
who are suffering a voice.

The three places I've given money to in the last month are UNICEF, Samaritan's Purse, and Blood:Water Mission. B:WM is mainly for clean water efforts, but the other two have funds directly for benefitting the famine victims. We also have a child we sponsor through Compassion International who lives in Kenya. I trust all of those organizations to use their resources wisely.

If you search "famine in Africa" you can learn more and see some pretty awful images of suffering.

1 comment: